All things India
A unique concept store highlighting the best of India’s contemporary design launches at Bicester Village between May 17-29.
This summer Bicester Village will showcase some of the most exciting talent coming out of India today as the country’s magical spirit and exotic charms sweep through the village in a colourful celebration of All Things India. Whether India is one of your favourite destinations or you still dream of travelling there one day, you will be able to discover all the pleasures it has to offer at Bicester Village.
The Celebrating India concept store has been created to showcase the exciting new voices coming out of India today as well as celebrating established talents, curated by fashion connoisseur, businesswoman, and art purveyor Roohi Jaikishan and fashion editor Sujata Assomull. The unique concept store will welcome brands such as Manish Arora, Pippa Small, Beulah, Behno, Huemn, Dhruv Kapoor, Kanika Goyal Label, Kashmir Loom, Khosla Jani, SZ Blockprints, Tada & Toy, Tiipoi and more.
Desirée Bollier, Chair and Chief Merchant, Value Retail Management, operator of The Bicester Village Shopping Collection, said: ‘We are thrilled to be welcoming a new wave of India’s creative talents to Bicester Village to commence the launch of our summer campaign ‘All Things India’.
‘Collectively the designers showcased at the Celebrating India concept store are leading the charge and affirming India’s position on the international design agenda and, what more vibrant a highlight could we wish for than these six magnificent elephant sculptures honouring one of nature’s most celebrated icons.
‘The Bicester Village Shopping Collection is proud to partner with Elephant Family in support of its valuable work in protecting these endangered creatures.’
Brands to note include:
- Beulah – with an ethical ethos at the forefront of this luxury womenswear brand, its timeless feminine designs feature beautiful hand embroidery, sand-washed silks and screen printing. Through the development of ancient craft and economic independence, Beulah continues its mission to create a positive impact on the lives of the women behind its beautiful collections.
- Manish Arora – one of the most celebrated and inspiring contemporary Indian designers and one of the Business of Fashion 500. Known for his craftsmanship, playful colour combinations and trademark palette of pink and gold, his eye-catching designs are not to be missed.
- Behno – ‘Behno’ means ‘sisters’ in Hindi, which is how the female designers working for Behno are referred to. This globetrotting accessory hero offers modern silhouettes and its instantly-recognisable INA leather mini crossbody from £180. Choose from a palette of summer pastels, pink, saffron, sky blue or yellow. See handbag picture above.
- Pippa Small – Discover the eponymous collection from sustainable jewellery designer Pippa Small, who is known for her globetrotting adventures, artisan style and ethically sourced materials. Explore the beautiful collection of vibrant gemstones and delicate detailing of this handcrafted jewellery.
- Tiipoi – Splitting her time between her design studios in Bangalore and London, Spandana Gopal creates beautiful minimalist interior accessories. Inspired by stories of modern India with touches of brass, copper and wood throughout, Tiipoi’s unique home accessories add the perfect finishing touch to any interior. Discover hand-woven rugs from £100 and quilted pattern cushions from £30.
- Kanika Goyal – With its roots firmly in quality craftsmanship and refined tailoring, Kanika has established her brand as the main choice for millennials seeking chic, pared-back style. Featuring bold patterns and provocative designs, her unique pieces are perfect for making a style statement.
- SZ Blockprints – Seeking a modern reimagining of traditional patterns, SZ Blockprints (see picture above) links up with a multigenerational family printing studio based in Jaipur. Using one of India’s oldest printing techniques, each piece is lovingly handmade, making them unique.