Food for thought
At a time when environmental issues are quickly climbing the national agenda, it is a sobering thought that 7.1 million tonnes of food is wasted every year in UK homes.
That’s not only a massive waste of the Earth’s resources, but a waste of money, too – about £230 per person annually in the UK.
That’s why the Waste Partnership for Buckinghamshire is joining the national ‘Spoiled Rotten’ campaign that asks people to consider ways they can act to reduce their own food waste, through:
- Only buying what’s needed;
- Storing items properly;
- Ensuring everything gets used.
Speaking on behalf of the Waste Partnership, Buckinghamshire County Council Deputy Cabinet Member for Planning & Environment Clive Harriss said: ‘Although Buckinghamshire has a solid record when it comes to green issues such as recycling at home, most of us could do a bit better when it comes to wasting food.
‘It’s so easy to be tempted while out food shopping, but we need to be realistic, too – there’s only so much an individual or family can eat. Wasting good food is not only terrible for the environment, it’s expensive too.’
Even if you live a busy life, a few simple tips can make a big difference, says the partnership:
- Check your fridge and your food cupboard regularly so you know what needs eating up and what is running out – especially important when you’re heading off to the shops.
- Make sure everything is stored properly so that it lasts as long as possible – if something is nearing its date, find a way of using it or – where appropriate – freeze it.
- Make a shopping list, and when buying fruit and veg, be realistic about what you can eat – maybe it is better to buy one or two loose items rather than a whole bag.
Now the partnership is running a competition from 28 October to 7 December that gives residents the chance to submit their favourite tips, hints and ideas to reduce food waste through buying and storing food properly.
The best tip will win the big prize of a £100 hamper of Zero Waste goodies, with 10 runners-up receiving a food waste survival kit. Enter at www.recycleforbuckinghamshire.co.uk/spoiled-rotten-competition